The Milbat association has developed “Milbat Home”, an app designed to prevent falls and improve the safety of the homesof senior citizens.
The app is available for free downloading for both Android and iOS, in Hebrew and Arabic.
Click here to download.
Click here to watch the video with English subtitles.
Risk of falling can be detrimental to the independence and quality of life of people over 65, and diminish the inability to function independently, on top of causing physical and psychological harm.
There are many causes for falling, but mostly they occur due to obstacles, safety hazards and unsafe behavior.
Most falls occur at home, and it is essential to follow the Ministry of Health guidelines on fall prevention (link) – make sure that the house is safely arranged, that any required devices are installed, and to follow safe and cautious behavioral guidelines.
It is for this purpose that a Milbat team of occupational therapists and physiotherapists have developed the Milbat Home app.
This fall prevention app allows anyone (even without any previous experience) to easily spot risk factors and safety hazards in every room in the house, recognize dangerous behavior, and receive personal assistance on how to proceed.
How do I use the app?
Using the app is simple:Using the app is simple:
1. Go to Google Play or the App store on your mobile device and download the Milbat Home app for free.
2. Choose the areas you’d like to check inside the house (bedroom, shower etc.) or in the vicinity (stairwell, yard etc.)
3. Receive instructions on what to check for, and mark your findings accordingly:
Yellow: partially safe
Red: unsafe (a potential hazard)
Once you’re done, you’ll receive a personalized summary which lays out what needs to be done about each of the risk factors found in the house: what can be changed to make the room safer, which safety devices are recommended, and what behavioral routines can be adopted to reduce risk. If any safety devices are required, an interactive map will allow you to find the relevant stores nearest to you. This explanation can be provided via email and shared with other contacts such as family members or professional caregivers.
- Senior citizens
- Family members: children, grandchildren
- Professional caregivers and students from the fields of medicine and welfare
- Volunteers, national service members, and teenagers who work with senior citizens.
What if I don’t have a smartphone?
You can receive a free booklet containing all the explanations available on the app from the milbat association explaining how to check the safety of your home.
Project “Safe as houses”
As part of the Milbat association’s “safe as houses” project, extensive activities are organized around the country to inform and assist in fall prevention. These include:As part of the Milbat association’s “safe as houses” project, extensive activities are organized around the country to inform and assist in fall prevention. These include:
1. Workshops for multidisciplinary teams and students from the fields of medicine and welfare
2. Lectures aimed at senior citizens in rehabilitation departments, senior citizen clubs, HMO’s and more.
3. Information and demonstration booths in healthcare conventions and gatherings, senior citizen events, medical centers and more.
4. Training for volunteers, teenagers and national service members on how to check home safety for senior citizens. Click here for more info
The app was developed by a Milbat team of rehabilitation specialists, along with a group of teenagers and volunteers as part of Microsoft’s I4G educational project and in collaboration with iAPPS Technologies and Nadsoft IT Solutions.